Tonight was one of those great nights I'll remember for a long long time... We had our soccer banquet this evening, which began at Solheim with Coach recognizing a few people who have helped out the team in different ways. Kate and I were given flowers, and we watched Coach get teary-eyed as he thanked us, which really touched my heart. Awwww. After that, we all ventured to Carson's (a very nice place, famous for their ribs), where everyone ate happily and enjoyed being with one another. I had the filet mignon, which was excellent; really, for me the best part of dinner was when I took a moment to look around and saw all the guys just eating, talking, and looking so pleased. When they're happy, it makes me happy too. :-)
Following the meal, we went back to school and met together for the awards part of the evening - this usually involves some fun, good humor, applause, and a fair amount of emotion as well. Many awards were passed out, and this being my second year with the team, I got a very nice blue athletic bag and a certificate. Then, later on, Kate and I were surprised with plaques from Coach and the team; I am looking at mine right now and I think it's just wonderful. After some of the crazier awards for the guys (like the Mad Bomber and Grease Monkey awards), the captains came up with gifts for Coach, Kate, and I. Now, the guys are just brilliant in their thinking because what did they give to me and Kate? Certificates for massages at a spa! WOW. They are the greatest! We also received a rose and a card signed by all the guys, which I have read twice already and I know I will cherish it for years to come.
The banquet was over too soon, and afterward I went with Kate to her apartment to watch a movie. We hadn't been there for long when Ben called us, wondering could he and Jeff come over? (Like this has never happened before!) They promised to make us cookies (there's a first time for everything!) so of course we said yes (cookies or not) and they came over shortly after. The hilarity that ensued over the next few hours was the best entertainment I've had in ages, I kid you not! Kate and I were not allowed to help make the cookies so we sat across the counter and watched while the guys went to work. I can't even begin to describe it, I'll just say that by the time they were done I was on the floor laughing till I cried, trying to remember to stop laughing often enough to breathe... Yes, it was quite a show, involving singing, dancing, original comedy and surprisingly great cookies (which contained the normal ingredients plus chocolate chips, Crispy M&M's, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Blue Icing that read "Strictly Jesus"). Following our cookie feast, we watched most of Lord of the Rings and then went home. Whew, what a night.
I came home and just praised God for blessing me with this team of amazing guys, a Coach whom I deeply admire and respect, and a fellow manager named Kate who is an incredible friend, servant, and sister to me. It has been my honor and pleasure to serve God in this way, and it is a bit hard to see this part of my life drawing to a close. Oh don't worry, it's not over yet, we still have England in March! But even after that, I will leave the team a more humble, Godly woman because of the way the Lord has chosen to bless and shape me through this opportunity to serve and bring Him glory. I love these guys to pieces, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Men's Soccer Team of Moody Bible Institute, which is not just a soccer team but a group of men who pursue and serve God with a passion unlike any I have seen before. And for that I praise the Lord.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home